Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Cat owners urged to be vigilant as cases of antifreeze poisoning are reported

CATowners in the Awdry Avenue area have reported a number of cases of antifreeze poisoning, resulting in their pets having to be euthanised.

Veterinary nurse at the Chapel Surgery Lisa Walters said, “We have had a few cases come in, with at least three cats being diagnosed with antifreeze poisoning. But we are aware that there are more cases being reported on social media.

“Antifreeze is fatal to cats, but it is sweet tasting and cats do like the taste, so they are drawn to it. It can also affect dogs, but it is not always fatal to them.”

Resident of Awdry Avenue, Kim Carnell, had one of her cats put to sleep after the Bank Holiday. Kim said, “I took my cat Billi to the Chapel Surgery vets on Tuesday and they told me I had to take him to the Rosemary Lodge Veterinary Hospital in Bath as they were aware of another cat from the same road who had been in with poisoning.

“A urine sample confirmed that he had been poisoned with antifreeze.

“I contacted the police and they said they would file the incident.They said that they could not do anything about it at the moment as they need more evidence. They said if more people tell them of more poisonings, or if anyone reports suspicious behaviour of someone leaving food and packages on the street, they will look into it.”

Veterinary nurse Lisa said, “It is the wrong time of year for people to be using antifreeze, but there is no proof that the recent cases are malicious.”

The RSPCA reports, “Accidental antifreeze poisonings from spills/leaks, as well as leaking water coolant from cars happen every year, leading to pet death.”

The RSPCA suggest, “Regularly check your car to ensure it isn’t leaking water coolant. Take care storing, using and disposing of antifreeze and water coolant.”

Offering advice to any concerned owners, Lisa said, “Make sure you keep a close eye on them and watch out for signs like drinking more, urinating more, loss of appetite and signs of them appearing off-colour.

“Contact your local veterinary surgery if you have any concerns.”

You must be logged in to post a comment Login