Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
TWO engraved paving stones have been unveiled marking the site of the two wells discovered during the market place renovations.
The uncovering of the two wells last year sparked huge debate in the town about what should be done to commemorate the historic finds.
In response, a volunteer group called the Melksham Wells Project was formed, supported by the Mayor, cllr Adrienne Westbrook. Their first task was to decide what the engravings should say after Wiltshire Council revealed that they would provide the paving stones.
The engravings on the two paving stones say, ‘The site of Melksham’s town pump, installed by public subscription in 1789’ and ‘This well shaft was discovered during market place improvements in 2017’.
The paving stones were made and installed by local stonemason Jim Wheel, who also designed and made the two stone benches and circular seating area in the Market Place.
For more information about the Melksham Well Project, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.melkshamwell.org.uk.