Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

One win, one defeat to wrap up rugby season

RWB II 30 v Melksham 24

The last game of the season took Melksham to Royal Wotton Bassett. The team fielded with several injury replacements suffering the aftermath from the game at Chippenham on Wednesday night.

The home team started with high endeavour from the first whistle catching Melksham unaware with a quick tap go inside the 22. Both teams swapped field position as they vied for the next opportunity. Melksham penalty count rising ceded position to RWB, scoring from a quick tap and go. Melksham rallied and direct running from Matt Glover carrying through the home defence got the visitors on the board, scrum half Callum Hurn adding the extras.

An evenly matched battle between both teams brought more reward for the visitors with a ranging run in from half way from Luke Cador, extras added by Hurn giving the visitors the lead.  Melksham conceding two more penalties for the lead to change hands again. RWB were getting the upper hand, pressure paying off with two more tries to ease away from the visitors.

Melksham weren’t finished yet and quick thinking from the Wilkins brothers off a line out brought a quick try. Having their purple patch Melksham scored again from Glover unstoppable from range.

Melksham 20 Minety 15

Melksham played hosts to Minety, at Oakfields, for the last home game of the season.

. Both teams traded territory in the first period of the game. Melksham gave away a string of penalties in their own half, pounced on by the Minety’s scrum half to make the most of the opportunities presented, 0-9 up in the first quarter.

Both teams competed strongly and evenly for the ball in the set pieces. The ship steadied by Luke Cador receiving the ball out wide using his power and pace to score and get the home team on the board. Yet again the home team infringed within kicking distance, Minety taking the points to close the half 5-12 up.

The restart, after the half time talk from coach Scott Simmons, brought more intent from the home team. They worked up field and produced quick ball out to the hooker Brad Wilkins, who stepped the defender to score and get within two points.

Ten minutes later Melksham had again worked hard to get into the visitors 22, direct running from centre Kieran Jenkins punching a hole to score and give the home team the lead for the first time.

Sensing the momentum was with them, centre Callum Gillard struck with a tenacious run, shaking off the tackles to score the bonus point try for Melksham.

Minety were not done yet, driving hard into the home half, the defence holding strong but coughing up another penalty for the un-erring boot of the Minety scrum half to get within five points and a losing bonus point, the final score as the clock ran down 20-15. Man of the match Nick Suter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *