Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Sherbourne 2 – 4 Melksham Town – Toolstation Premier Division, Sat. 9th Nov.

Melksham ran out 4-2 winners against Sherbourne and which leaves them unbeaten in 4 consecutive league games

The home side were boosted by the inclusion of new signing central defender Ryan Bennett who joined from Mangotsfield United and he slotted in seamlessly at the back alongside Matt Cooper as the Town looked to continue their recent good run of results. On a pitch that was heavy after overnight rain it was the visitors who settled first and it was no surprise when they took the lead on 8 minutes when Steve Burton latched onto a Caines flick and deftly waltzed his way into the box and crashed a left foot shot into the net .

The Town responded and drew level on 11 minutes when Shaun Benison created some space down the Sherborne left and his inviting cross was slid in at the far post by Tom Robinson for his first goal of the season. Both sides pressed forward and home keeper Drewitt saved well from Caines whilst at the other end the Towns Higdon shot wide before on 20 minutes Melksham went ahead in fortunate circumstances when Clarke could only turn the ball into his own net after looking to intercept a promising move between Higdon and Kovacs.

Sherbourne continued to enjoy more of the possession and Drewitt was gain called into action on 28 minutes when blocking an attempt from Morgan . On the half hour mark Melksham’s Will Stead picked out Higdon with a slide rule pass and although the striker cooly chipped the visitors keeper the ball drifted agonisingly wide.On 38 minutes Robinson nearly grabbed his second for the home side but his header drifted just wide after a fine cross from Jeffery.

In a good tempered game the visitors were unfortunate to pick up the first caution of the game on 40 minutes and the break was reached with Melksham holding a slender 2-1 advantage. Melksham started the second half brightly and after a long ball over the top found Higdon the strikers shot was tipped around the post for a corner as the Town looked for a third goal.From the resulting corner Town skipper Dave Thompson saw his header hit the bar and roll away to safety.

On 50 minutes the visitors keeper spilled a Kovacs effort for a corner and from yet another corner on 60 minutes the ball was only partially cleared to Shaun Benison who rifled his angled a effort into the far corner to put the Town 3-1 ahead and seemingly well on the way to three points. As the half wore on all three substitutions were made by Melksham with Dan Griffiths,Matt Sharp and Sayeed Ibrahim being introduced as the energy sapping pitch took its toll and with Monday nights game in mind.

Kovacs headed just over from a Higdon cross on 70 minutes and as Sherbourne pushed forward in numbers Drewitt was called into action on 80 minutes when snuffing out a dangerous looking cross.

On 85 minutes the visitors were awarded a penalty after Jeffery was adjudged to have pushed over an attacker and the resultant spot kick was dispatched by Caines to bring the score to 3-2 and leave the home side with potentially a tricky last few minutes to negotiate.

However the game was made safe on 88 minutes when Stead went on a storming 50 yard run and laid the ball into the path of Higdon who smashed the ball home for his 7th goal of the season and seal a 4-2 victory which pushed the Town further away from the lower reaches of the league.