Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Melksham Town 2-1 Sherborne Town – Toolstation Premier Div., Saturday 5th March

Melksham stretched their unbeaten run to 10 games after a narrow victory over their Dorset visitors, turning a 1-0 half time deficit into a 2-1 victory.

After the high intensity of the last two matches, it was understandable that the Town side opened with less tempo than normally seen and it was Sherborne who threatened first, when Plant volleyed over from close range on 5 minutes.

On 16 minutes Melksham passed up a glorious  opportunity to go ahead when Higdon carved out a free shot at goal for Benison, but from 10 yards he blasted well over the bar.

On 20 minutes Melksham threatened again when Sherborne could only partially clear a corner and Fielding’s left foot effort cannoned off the post and away to safety.

Melksham were punished for their wastefulness on 21 minutes when Caines and Ireland combined for Winsper to ram home the latter’s cross to put Sherborne 1-0 ahead.

On 38 minutes Town keeper Rob Brown produced a fantastic save to parry over an effort from Caines from close range and this save was to prove pivotal in the outcome of the game. The half-time interval saw Sherborne maintain their 1-0 lead.

Town started the second half well and it was no surprise that they equalised on 55 minutes when a delightful cross from Thomson was headed home by Higdon, to bring the scores level at 1-1 and notch his 19th goal of the season.

On the hour mark, Ibrahim replaced Town youngster Chay Forester who had been handed his first start at first team level, maintaining the emphasis of giving local Town youngsters the chance to perform at Senior level.

On 70 minutes Ibrahim was instrumental in setting up the Town’s second goal when his long throw was nodded on by Benison into the path of Stradling, who crashed the ball home from an acute angle for his third goal in his last four starts and to put the team 2-1 up.

On 80 minutes Bennet volleyed over from close range after latching onto a Higdon flick from a Thomson free kick, as Melksham sought to put the game to bed.

With 5 minutes remaining, Town keeper Brown picked up a caution for dissent and the visitors were indebted to two fine saves in quick succession from Stradling and Higdon near the end to keep the final score at 2-1.

Next up for Melksham, two away games in succession with a mid-week trip to Brislington, followed by a trip to Shepton Mallett.

The Town’s Reserve side fell to a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Malmesbury Vics in the Wiltshire league, but still retain second place, whilst the A side also fell to a 1-0 defeat to Freshford United in the Trowbridge & District A&B cup semi.