Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
Story posted on
DORSET & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service would like to remind the public of the importance of carbon monoxide alarms following an incident on 3rd November.
Two people staying in a beach hut raised the alarm when they were overcome by gas fumes. Two crews from Portland were mobilised to the scene and had to break into the hut to rescue the people and a dog, who were all barely conscious. The crews administered oxygen therapy until the ambulance crews arrived.
Station manager Russ True said, “The affected people have been very lucky. Carbon monoxide is colourless, odourless and tasteless, but it is also extremely dangerous. Without a CO detector, you have no way of knowing that you’re being poisoned until the damage is already being done.
“CO detectors can be bought in most supermarkets and DIY stores. They’re not expensive and they save lives. These people had experienced some advanced symptoms, but were very fortunate that they were still able to raise the alarm before they came to any serious harm.”
Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Most cases of CO poisoning are caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed or maintained, or are poorly ventilated.
There are signs that you can look for that indicate incomplete combustion is occurring and may result in the production of CO:
• Yellow or orange rather than blue flames (except in fuel effect fires or flueless appliances)
• Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
• Pilot lights that frequently blow out
• Increased condensation inside windows
For advice on carbon monoxide and making your home safer, visit our website www.dwfire.org.uk/carbon-monoxide
10 hours ago
Melksham out of juice until 2022 for electric vehicles
Owners of electric vehicles wanting to charge their vehicle in the town centre will have a long wait, as there are no plans to replace the damaged charging point in King Street car park until 2022. The public rapid charging point in the Wiltshire Council owned car park – which can accommodate two vehicles – have been out of action for several months – the nearest alternatives are in car parks owned by Wiltshire Council in Chippenham, Corsham, Westbury and Trowbridge.
bit.ly/3oWB2TL ... See MoreSee Less
19 hours ago
In this week's letters to the editor: 'Smaller park dog run is much needed', 'Let's be louder about the positives' and 'Bird boxes - the solution to stop speeding motorists?.
Would you like to share your thoughts?
Post: Melksham News, 31 Market Place, Melksham SN12 6ES
Facebook Messenger ... See MoreSee Less
© 2021, ↑ Melksham Independent News
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.