Melksham Baptist Church is a member of the Melksham Family of Churches and has been in the town at Old Broughton Road since 1669 – but do you know what we do today?
As a Christian church, we believe that there is a God who created the world, and who also created us to live in it and look after it for the good of all.
We meet each Sunday to worship Him, give thanks for His creation, seek forgiveness for our shortcomings and be equipped and inspired for service to God and others in the week ahead.
We are blessed with a range of buildings which we use with the local community: –
• The Melksham Food Bank is based here, and food parcels are prepared for issue.
• On Monday and Thursday, ‘Lifeline’ sessions are held – people can drop in for light refreshments, a chat, and sometimes receive guidance or help with problems.
• Crazy about Knitting also meets – a group of industrious ladies meet to knit items for donation to various charities, and to enjoy a time of relaxed fellowship.
• Another group meets to participate and encourage others in following a healthy lifestyle.
• The ‘Bless Melksham Choir’ meets at the church for rehearsals, preparing for their performances throughout the year.
• A small group prepares their visits to three local primary schools to ‘Open the Book’ to the children, enacting stories from the Bible.
• On Thursday evenings, the ‘Gateway’ club provides a social outing for members with a learning difficulty, and the Church is highly privileged to celebrate with them at Harvest (with a supper) and Christmas Festival services.
• Other current users of the premises include a Zumba class and a youth group organised by another church.
• The Church also hosts an extensive programme of social events throughout the year including morning breakfasts, quizzes, cream teas, barbecues, inviting anybody to come along and have fun, while raising funds for different worthy causes.
A work party maintains the premises and grounds, tidying the surrounding area on a weekly basis
Members also serve in the activities of other town organisations including Melksham Link, Rainbow Day Centre, Brownies, Messy Church and Melksham Family of Churches.
Sunday worship is only the beginning of a very busy week as we try to put our Christian beliefs into practice serving the Melksham community, and sharing the ‘Good News’ of life with Jesus – you are very welcome to join us for any of our activities – just keep a look out for our posters, noticeboard or website www.melkshambaptistchurch.org.uk